Roasted Wild Turkey Recipe
- 1 wild turkey (10 to 15 pounds)
- 2 large apples, quartered
- 6 to 8 medium red potatoes, quartered
- 2 pound baby carrots
- 2 medium onions, sliced
- 2 cups water
- 1-1/2 teaspoons seasoned salt
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon pepper
- 1/2 cup maple syrup
- 1/4 cup French salad dressing
- 1/4 cup barbecue sauce
- 2 tablespoons ketchup
- 2 tablespoons steak sauce
- 1 tablespoon lemon juice
- 1. Place turkey on a rack in a roasting pan; place apples in turkey cavity. Place potatoes, carrots and onions around turkey. Pour water over vegetables. Combine seasoned salt, salt and pepper; rub over turkey. Combine remaining ingredients; spoon over the turkey.
- 2. Cover and bake at 325° for 3-1/2 hours or until a meat thermometer reads 180° baste if desired. Turkey may be uncovered for the last 30 minutes for additional browning if desired. Yield: 10-12 servings.
6 ounce-weight: 615 calories, 23g fat (6g saturated fat), 204mg cholesterol, 766mg sodium, 37g carbohydrate (22g sugars, 4g fiber), 63g protein.
Reviews for Roasted Wild Turkey
"After reading and hearing all the poor comments on how wild turkey COULD turn out dry, gamey, etc. I was worried! This recipe is so moist and delicious it beat any regular or wild turkey I have had in recent memory hands down. I shoved the chest cavity full of pink lady apples, and also used an oven bag to house the turkey and all veggies in the roasting pan. BECAUSE I used the oven bag, I omitted the 2 cups of water, otherwise I would have kept it. So moist and tender with over two cups of juices to boot on the bottom of bag/roaster after the bird was finished. Thank you for this recipe, the other fifty turkeys behind the house are now in trouble :)"
"Easy to make and it stayed so moist. Would make again for friends and family."
"This recipe is GREAT! My brother does not like Turkey AT ALL but after I made the Turkey this way he wanted me to make it again! It is very moist and there is no gamey taste. I really recommend this."
"This is the most amazing recipe. I will never cook a turkey another way again. It is so tender and juicy with an understated flavor. My kids like this recipe too!"
"This was easy and without a doubt the most moist delicious turkey I have ever eaten, wild or from the market. After dinner, which included multiple helpings of turkey, deboned the turkey for sandwiches the next day and they were also increadible. I will always make turkey following this recipe."