Since we have avid hunters in our family. I will quite often prepare game. Once it's stuffed with apples and topped with a unique combination of sauces, this wild bird requires no basting and cooks up nice and moist.
- 1 wild turkey (10 to 15 pounds)
- 2 large apples, quartered
- 6 to 8 medium red potatoes, quartered
- 2 pound baby carrots
- 2 medium onions, sliced
- 2 cups water
- 1-1/2 teaspoons seasoned salt
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon pepper
- 1/2 cup maple syrup
- 1/4 cup French salad dressing
- 1/4 cup barbecue sauce
- 2 tablespoons ketchup
- 2 tablespoons steak sauce
- 1 tablespoon lemon juice
- Place turkey on a rack in a roasting pan; place apples in turkey cavity. Place potatoes, carrots and onions around turkey. Pour water over vegetables. Combine seasoned salt, salt and pepper; rub over turkey. Combine remaining ingredients; spoon over the turkey.
- Cover and bake at 325° for 3-1/2 hours or until a meat thermometer reads 180° baste if desired. Turkey may be uncovered for the last 30 minutes for additional browning if desired. Yield: 10-12 servings.
Originally published as Roasted Wild Turkey in Taste of Home December/January 1999, p39
Reviews for Roasted Wild Turkey
Please Log In or Join to add a rating and review.
Click stars to rate
Any changes to your rating or review will appear where you originally posted your review