Roasted Veggie Sandwiches Recipe
- 3 tablespoons balsamic vinegar
- 2 teaspoons olive oil
- 1/4 cup minced fresh basil or 1 tablespoon dried basil
- 1 small eggplant, peeled and sliced lengthwise
- 1 medium sweet red pepper, sliced
- 1 small red onion, sliced and separated into rings
- 1 small zucchini, thinly sliced
- 1 small yellow summer squash, thinly sliced
- BASIL YOGURT SPREAD:
- 1/4 cup fat-free plain yogurt
- 2 tablespoons reduced-fat mayonnaise
- 1 tablespoon minced fresh basil or 1 teaspoon dried basil
- 1 teaspoon lemon juice
- 4 French rolls, split and warmed
- 1. In a large bowl, combine the vinegar, oil and basil. Add the eggplant, red pepper, onion, zucchini and yellow squash; toss to coat. Place vegetables in a single layer in a large roasting pan. Roast, uncovered, at 450° for 20-30 minutes or until tender, stirring occasionally.
- 2. Meanwhile, in a small bowl, combine the yogurt, mayonnaise, basil and lemon juice. Hollow out rolls if necessary. Serve roasted vegetables on rolls with yogurt spread. Yield: 4 servings.
One sandwich equals 275 calories, 7 g fat (1 g saturated fat), 3 mg cholesterol, 421 mg sodium, 47 g carbohydrate, 8 g fiber, 9 g protein. Diabetic Exchanges: 3 vegetable, 2 starch, 1 fat.