Looking for a delicious way to use a variety of veggies? Our Test Kitchen home economists recommend tucking your garden harvest into this hearty sandwich. The pleasant flavor of eggplant, red pepper, onion, zucchini and yellow summer squash is enhanced by a creamy basil yogurt spread. The bright blend of colors is sure to perk appetites, too!
Recommended: 30 Fresh Ways to Use Up Zucchini
- 3 tablespoons balsamic vinegar
- 2 teaspoons olive oil
- 1/4 cup minced fresh basil or 1 tablespoon dried basil
- 1 small eggplant, peeled and sliced lengthwise
- 1 medium sweet red pepper, sliced
- 1 small red onion, sliced and separated into rings
- 1 small zucchini, thinly sliced
- 1 small yellow summer squash, thinly sliced
- BASIL YOGURT SPREAD:
- 1/4 cup fat-free plain yogurt
- 2 tablespoons reduced-fat mayonnaise
- 1 tablespoon minced fresh basil or 1 teaspoon dried basil
- 1 teaspoon lemon juice
- 4 French rolls, split and warmed
- In a large bowl, combine the vinegar, oil and basil. Add the eggplant, red pepper, onion, zucchini and yellow squash; toss to coat. Place vegetables in a single layer in a large roasting pan. Roast, uncovered, at 450° for 20-30 minutes or until tender, stirring occasionally.
- Meanwhile, in a small bowl, combine the yogurt, mayonnaise, basil and lemon juice. Hollow out rolls if necessary. Serve roasted vegetables on rolls with yogurt spread. Yield: 4 servings.
Originally published as Roasted Veggie Sandwiches in Light & Tasty August/September 2003, p22
Reviews for Roasted Veggie Sandwiches
Please Log In or Join to add a rating and review.
Click stars to rate
Any changes to your rating or review will appear where you originally posted your review