Roasted Veggie and Meatball Soup Recipe
- 5 medium red potatoes, cubed
- 4 large carrots, cut into 1/2-inch slices
- 1 large red onion, halved and cut into wedges
- 4 tablespoons canola oil, divided
- 1-1/4 teaspoons salt, divided
- 3 tablespoons minced fresh basil
- 3 garlic cloves, crushed
- 1 egg, lightly beaten
- 1/2 cup seasoned bread crumbs
- 1/4 cup grated Parmesan cheese
- 1/4 cup minced fresh parsley
- 1/2 teaspoon pepper
- 1 pound ground turkey
- 1 carton (32 ounces) reduced-sodium chicken broth
- 2 cups water
- 1 can (14-1/2 ounces) diced tomatoes, undrained
- 1. In a large bowl, combine the potatoes, carrots, onion, 2 tablespoons oil and 1/2 teaspoon salt. Place in a single layer in two greased 15-in. x 10-in. x 1-in. baking pans.
- 2. Bake at 425° for 20 minutes. Add basil and garlic; toss to coat. Bake 10-15 minutes longer or until vegetables are tender.
- 3. In a large bowl, combine the egg, bread crumbs, cheese, parsley, 1/2 teaspoon salt and pepper. Crumble turkey over mixture and mix well. Shape into 1-in. balls.
- 4. In a Dutch oven, brown meatballs in remaining oil in batches; drain and set aside.
- 5. In the same pan, combine the broth, water, tomatoes, roasted vegetables and remaining salt. Return meatballs to pan. Bring to a boil. Reduce heat; cover and simmer for 45-55 minutes or until meatballs are no longer pink. Yield: 8 servings (3 quarts).
1-1/2 cups: 317 calories, 17g fat (4g saturated fat), 67mg cholesterol, 1005mg sodium, 26g carbohydrate (6g sugars, 4g fiber), 16g protein.
Reviews for Roasted Veggie and Meatball Soup
"I really wasn't sure how the roasted vegetables would be in a soup, but thought I'd give it a try. Soooo glad I did - they were delicious! I made a few changes - I didn't roast the onion, but chopped it & added it to the broth. I used ground beef & beef broth as I didn't have ground turkey. The Parmesan in the meatballs really adds a great flavor to this soup."