Roasted Veggie and Meatball Soup Recipe
I put together this appetizing soup almost every Sunday during our South Dakota winters. A variety of roasted vegetables and turkey meatballs perk up the broth. What a wonderful way to warm up! —Sandy Lund, Brookings, South Dakota
- 5 medium red potatoes, cubed
- 4 large carrots, cut into 1/2-inch slices
- 1 large red onion, halved and cut into wedges
- 4 tablespoons canola oil, divided
- 1-1/4 teaspoons salt, divided
- 3 tablespoons minced fresh basil
- 3 garlic cloves, crushed
- 1 egg, lightly beaten
- 1/2 cup seasoned bread crumbs
- 1/4 cup grated Parmesan cheese
- 1/4 cup minced fresh parsley
- 1/2 teaspoon pepper
- 1 pound ground turkey
- 1 carton (32 ounces) reduced-sodium chicken broth
- 2 cups water
- 1 can (14-1/2 ounces) diced tomatoes, undrained
- 1. In a large bowl, combine the potatoes, carrots, onion, 2 tablespoons oil and 1/2 teaspoon salt. Place in a single layer in two greased 15-in. x 10-in. x 1-in. baking pans.
- 2. Bake at 425° for 20 minutes. Add basil and garlic; toss to coat. Bake 10-15 minutes longer or until vegetables are tender.
- 3. In a large bowl, combine the egg, bread crumbs, cheese, parsley, 1/2 teaspoon salt and pepper. Crumble turkey over mixture and mix well. Shape into 1-in. balls.
- 4. In a Dutch oven, brown meatballs in remaining oil in batches; drain and set aside.
- 5. In the same pan, combine the broth, water, tomatoes, roasted vegetables and remaining salt. Return meatballs to pan. Bring to a boil. Reduce heat; cover and simmer for 45-55 minutes or until meatballs are no longer pink. Yield: 8 servings (3 quarts).
1-1/2 cups equals 317 calories, 17 g fat (4 g saturated fat), 67 mg cholesterol, 1,005 mg sodium, 26 g carbohydrate, 4 g fiber, 16 g protein.
© 2015 RDA Enthusiast Brands, LLC