- oil; sprinkle with salt. Bake, uncovered, at 400° for 35-45
- minutes or until edges of peppers begin to brown, stirring every 10
- Meanwhile, in a saucepan, saute onions in oil until tender. Add
- garlic, red pepper flakes and fennel; cook and stir for 1 minute.
- Add the tomatoes, parsley, salt, pepper, sugar and thyme. Bring to a
- boil. Reduce heat; simmer, uncovered, for 15 minutes. Cook pasta
- according to package directions; drain.
- In two greased 2-qt. baking dishes, spread 1/2 cup sauce each. In
- each dish, layer a fourth of the pasta, a fourth of the roasted
- vegetables and 1/2 cup sauce. Top with 2 cups spinach and 1/2 cup
- sauce. Top with remaining roasted vegetables, pasta and sauce.
- Cover and bake at 350° for 30 minutes. Uncover; sprinkle with
- cheese. Bake 10-15 minutes longer or until heated through and cheese
- is melted. Yield: 12 servings.
Nutritional Facts: One serving (1 cup) equals 230 calories, 5 g fat (1 g saturated fat), 5 mg cholesterol, 497 mg sodium, 40 g carbohydrate, 4 g fiber, 10 g protein. Diabetic Exchanges: 2 starch, 2 vegetable, 1 fat.
Wine: Medium-Bodied Red Wine: Enjoy this recipe with a medium-bodied red wine such as Chianti, Sangiovese, Malbec or Zinfandel.