Roasted Vegetable Ziti Bake Recipe
- 1 pound eggplant, peeled and cut into 1-inch cubes
- 1 large red onion, cut into 1-inch pieces
- 2 medium sweet yellow peppers, cut into 1-inch pieces
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1-1/2 cups chopped onions
- 2 teaspoons olive oil
- 6 garlic cloves, minced
- 1/2 teaspoon crushed red pepper flakes
- 1/2 teaspoon fennel seed, crushed
- 1 can (28 ounces) crushed tomatoes
- 1 can (14-1/2 ounces) diced tomatoes, undrained
- 1/4 cup minced fresh parsley
- 1-1/4 teaspoons salt
- 1/2 teaspoon pepper
- 1/4 teaspoon sugar
- 1/8 teaspoon dried thyme
- 1 package (16 ounces) ziti or other small tube pasta
- 4 cups chopped fresh spinach
- 1 cup (4 ounces) shredded part-skim mozzarella cheese
- 1. In a 15-in. x 10-in. x 1-in. baking pan coated with cooking spray, combine the eggplant, red onion and yellow peppers. Drizzle with oil; sprinkle with salt. Bake, uncovered, at 400° for 35-45 minutes or until edges of peppers begin to brown, stirring every 10 minutes.
- 2. Meanwhile, in a saucepan, saute onions in oil until tender. Add garlic, red pepper flakes and fennel; cook and stir for 1 minute. Add the tomatoes, parsley, salt, pepper, sugar and thyme. Bring to a boil. Reduce heat; simmer, uncovered, for 15 minutes. Cook pasta according to package directions; drain.
- 3. In two greased 2-qt. baking dishes, spread 1/2 cup sauce each. In each dish, layer a fourth of the pasta, a fourth of the roasted vegetables and 1/2 cup sauce. Top with 2 cups spinach and 1/2 cup sauce. Top with remaining roasted vegetables, pasta and sauce.
- 4. Cover and bake at 350° for 30 minutes. Uncover; sprinkle with cheese. Bake 10-15 minutes longer or until heated through and cheese is melted. Yield: 12 servings.
One serving (1 cup) equals 230 calories, 5 g fat (1 g saturated fat), 5 mg cholesterol, 497 mg sodium, 40 g carbohydrate, 4 g fiber, 10 g protein. Diabetic Exchanges: 2 starch, 2 vegetable, 1 fat.
Medium-Bodied Red Wine
Enjoy this recipe with a medium-bodied red wine such as Chianti, Sangiovese, Malbec or Zinfandel.