Roasted Vegetable Ziti Bake Recipe
- 1 pound eggplant, peeled and cut into 1-inch cubes
- 1 large red onion, cut into 1-inch pieces
- 2 medium sweet yellow peppers, cut into 1-inch pieces
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1-1/2 cups chopped onions
- 2 teaspoons olive oil
- 6 garlic cloves, minced
- 1/2 teaspoon crushed red pepper flakes
- 1/2 teaspoon fennel seed, crushed
- 1 can (28 ounces) crushed tomatoes
- 1 can (14-1/2 ounces) diced tomatoes, undrained
- 1/4 cup minced fresh parsley
- 1-1/4 teaspoons salt
- 1/2 teaspoon pepper
- 1/4 teaspoon sugar
- 1/8 teaspoon dried thyme
- 1 package (16 ounces) ziti or other small tube pasta
- 4 cups chopped fresh spinach
- 1 cup (4 ounces) shredded part-skim mozzarella cheese
- In a 15-in. x 10-in. x 1-in. baking pan coated with cooking spray, combine the eggplant, red onion and yellow peppers. Drizzle with oil; sprinkle with salt. Bake, uncovered, at 400° for 35-45 minutes or until edges of peppers begin to brown, stirring every 10 minutes.
- Meanwhile, in a saucepan, saute onions in oil until tender. Add garlic, red pepper flakes and fennel; cook and stir for 1 minute. Add the tomatoes, parsley, salt, pepper, sugar and thyme. Bring to a boil. Reduce heat; simmer, uncovered, for 15 minutes. Cook pasta according to package directions; drain.
- In two greased 2-qt. baking dishes, spread 1/2 cup sauce each. In each dish, layer a fourth of the pasta, a fourth of the roasted vegetables and 1/2 cup sauce. Top with 2 cups spinach and 1/2 cup sauce. Top with remaining roasted vegetables, pasta and sauce.
- Cover and bake at 350° for 30 minutes. Uncover; sprinkle with cheese. Bake 10-15 minutes longer or until heated through and cheese is melted. Yield: 12 servings.
Medium-Bodied Red Wine
Enjoy this recipe with a medium-bodied red wine such as Chianti, Sangiovese, Malbec or Zinfandel.
Reviews for Roasted Vegetable Ziti Bake
Sort By :
"I absolutely HATE eggplant! I used mushrooms in its place and it was wonderful."
"We really enjoyed this meal, but felt there was too much pasta. I will make it again, but I will decrease the pasta by half and increase the veggies and sauce amount."
"This is a great recipe that stands on its own for dinner! Also, it makes a HUGE amount, so it's a great dish for larger get-togethers or you can freeze some for later. The sauce is very flavorful and I've tried it as it is written and with my own seasoning variations as well. Turns out great either way! Thanks for a different & delicious recipe!!"
"I love this recipe. Occasionally I add extra spinach, which I hardly notice taste-wise, but it makes it even more healthy!"