"THE DRESSING was always my favorite part of the meal. I can still smell the wonderful aroma that filled the house while the turkey roasted in our wood stove. We could hardly wait to sit down and eat!"
Recommended: The 13x9 Thanksgiving
- CORN BREAD:
- 3 cups cornmeal
- 1 cup self-rising flour
- 4-1/2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1-1/2 teaspoons salt
- 1-1/4 cups chopped celery
- 1/3 cup chopped onion
- 1/2 teaspoon celery seed
- 2 cups milk
- 1/4 cup canola oil
- 1 egg
- 1/2 cup chopped fresh parsley
- 1 to 2 tablespoons poultry seasoning
- 3/4 teaspoon pepper
- 3/4 cup egg substitute
- 1 cup butter, melted, divided
- 1 turkey (10 to 12 pounds)
- In a large bowl, combine the first seven ingredients. In a small bowl, combine the milk, oil and egg; pour over cornmeal mixture and mix well. Pour into a greased 13-in. x 9-in. baking pan.
- Bake at 350° for 50 minutes or until a toothpick inserted near the center comes out clean. Cool on a wire rack.
- Crumble corn bread into a large bowl. Add the parsley, poultry seasoning and pepper; toss. Combine egg substitute and 3/4 cup butter; add to the corn bread mixture, stirring just until blended.
- Just before baking, stuff the turkey with dressing. Skewer or fasten openings. Tie drumsticks together. Place on a rack in a roasting pan. Brush with remaining butter. Place remaining dressing in a greased baking dish; cover and refrigerate until ready to bake.
- Bake turkey at 325° for 3-1/2 to 4-1/2 hours or until a thermometer reads 165° when inserted in center of stuffing and the thigh reaches at least 170°. When turkey begins to brown, cover lightly with a tent of aluminum foil.
- Bake extra dressing at 325° for 1 hour. When turkey is done, let stand for 20 minutes before carving. Remove all dressing to a serving bowl. Yield: 8-10 servings (10 cups dressing).
Originally published as Turkey with Corn-Bread Dressing in Reminisce November/December 1994, p51
Reviews for Roasted Turkey with Corn-Bread Dressing
Please Log In or Join to add a rating and review.
Click stars to rate
Any changes to your rating or review will appear where you originally posted your review