Roasted Turkey a l'Orange Recipe
- 1 whole garlic bulb, cloves separated and peeled
- 1 large navel orange
- 1/4 cup orange marmalade
- 2 tablespoons lemon juice
- 1 tablespoon honey
- 2 teaspoons dried parsley flakes
- 1 teaspoon paprika
- 1 teaspoon dried oregano
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon dried thyme
- 1/2 teaspoon pepper
- 1 turkey (14 pounds)
- 4 celery ribs, quartered
- 4 large carrots, quartered
- 1 large onion, quartered
- 1 large potato, peeled and cut into 2-inch cubes
- 1 large sweet potato, peeled and cut into 2-inch cubes
- 1. Mince four garlic cloves; transfer to a small bowl. Juice half of the orange; add to bowl. Stir in the marmalade, lemon juice, honey, parsley, paprika, oregano, salt, thyme and pepper. With fingers, carefully loosen skin from the turkey; rub 1/2 cup marmalade mixture under the skin.
- 2. Thinly slice remaining orange half; place under the skin. Brush turkey with remaining marmalade mixture. Place remaining garlic cloves inside the cavity. Tuck wings under turkey; tie drumsticks together.
- 3. Combine the celery, carrots, onion and potatoes in a roasting pan. Place turkey, breast side up, over vegetables.
- 4. Bake at 325° for 3-1/2 to 4 hours or until a meat thermometer reads 180°, basting occasionally with pan drippings. Cover loosely with foil if turkey browns too quickly. Cover and let stand for 20 minutes before carving. Yield: 28 servings.
4 ounces cooked turkey (calculated without skin and vegetables): 207 calories, 6g fat (2g saturated fat), 86mg cholesterol, 123mg sodium, 4g carbohydrate (3g sugars, 0 fiber), 33g protein. Diabetic Exchanges: 4 lean meat.
Reviews for Roasted Turkey a l'Orange
"I used a 16.6 lb Butterball turkey. It was the most moist I have ever had. Thinking I will use double the veggies & place inside cavity as well!"
"Just made this tonight. It was very good and my daughter LOVED it. The orange flavor was great. I usually brine my turkeys, but this turned out very moist as is. I used a Jenni-O Turkey."