Roasted Tomato Soup Recipe
Served warm or cold, this soup makes a savory first course or light lunch. People always comment on its big fresh tomato taste.—Kriss Erickson, Kalauea, Hawaii
TOTAL TIME: Prep: 70 min. Cook: 15 min. YIELD:4-6 servings
- 3 pounds tomatoes
- 1/3 cup olive oil, divided
- 6 garlic cloves, minced
- 2 tablespoons chopped fresh thyme or 2 teaspoons dried thyme
- 2 cups chopped onion
- 1/4 cup minced fresh basil or 1 tablespoon dried basil
- 1 can (14-1/2 ounces) chicken broth
- 1/2 cup half-and-half cream
- Salt and pepper to taste
- 1. Core tomatoes; place in a roasting pan. Drizzle with 1/4 cup oil; sprinkle with garlic and thyme. Bake, uncovered, at 350° for 1 hour, turning occasionally.
- 2. In a large saucepan, saute onion in remaining oil until softened. Add roasted tomatoes and basil; cook for 5 minutes. Add broth; bring to a boil. Cook and stir for 5 minutes.
- 3. Put through a sieve or food mill; return puree to pan. In a small saucepan over medium-low heat, warm cream (do not boil). Stir the cream, salt and pepper into soup. Yield: 4-6 servings.
1 serving (1 cup) equals 211 calories, 15 g fat (3 g saturated fat), 10 mg cholesterol, 304 mg sodium, 17 g carbohydrate, 4 g fiber, 4 g protein.
© 2014 RDA Enthusiast Brands, LLC