Roasted Tomato Soup with Fresh Basil Recipe
- 3-1/2 pounds tomatoes (about 11 medium), halved
- 1 small onion, quartered
- 2 garlic cloves, peeled and halved
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 2 tablespoons fresh thyme leaves
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
- 12 fresh basil leaves
- Salad croutons and thinly sliced fresh basil leaves
- 1. Preheat oven to 400°. Place tomatoes, onion and garlic in a greased 15x10x1-in. baking pan; drizzle with oil. Sprinkle with thyme, salt and pepper; toss to coat. Roast 25-30 minutes or until tender, stirring once. Cool slightly.
- 2. Process tomato mixture and basil leaves in batches in a blender until smooth. Transfer to a large saucepan; heat through. If desired, top with croutons and sliced basil. Yield: 6 servings.
1 cup (calculated without croutons) equals 107 calories, 5 g fat (1 g saturated fat), 0 cholesterol, 411 mg sodium, 15 g carbohydrate, 4 g fiber, 3 g protein. Diabetic Exchanges: 1 starch, 1 fat.