Here's a delicious way to use up an abundance of fresh garden tomatoes. The thyme makes it taste extra fresh.—Marie T Forte, Raritan, New Jersey
- 1-1/4 pounds tomatoes (about 4 medium), halved
- 1 small onion, quartered
- 1 garlic clove, peeled and halved
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 tablespoon minced fresh thyme
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/8 teaspoon pepper
- 4 fresh basil leaves
- Salad croutons and additional fresh basil leaves, optional
- Place the tomatoes, onion and garlic in a greased 15x10x1-in. baking pan; drizzle with oil. Sprinkle with thyme, salt and pepper; toss to coat. Bake at 400° for 25-30 minutes or until tender, stirring once. Cool slightly.
- In a blender, process tomato mixture and basil leaves until blended. Transfer to a large saucepan and heat through. Garnish each serving with croutons and additional basil if desired. Yield: 2 servings.
Originally published as Roasted Tomato Soup with Fresh Basil for 2 in Taste of Home
Reviews for Roasted Tomato Soup with Fresh Basil for 2
Please Log In or Join to add a rating and review.
Click stars to rate
Any changes to your rating or review will appear where you originally posted your review
Reviewed Jul. 20, 2014
"Wonderful, used fresh homegrown tomatoes and basil from the garden. I put the basil in the blender, too. What a taste treat!"
Reviewed Dec. 12, 2013
"Gross, gross gross.... what a waste of tomatoes!"