- 2 cans (28 ounces each) whole tomatoes, undrained
- 1 carton (32 ounces) chicken broth
- 1 can (28 ounces) crushed tomatoes
- 1 can (10-1/2 ounces) condensed chicken broth, undiluted
- 1 can (6 ounces) tomato paste
- 1/3 cup balsamic vinegar
- 1/4 cup thinly sliced fresh basil leaves
- 3 fresh thyme sprigs
- 1 large onion, finely chopped
- 1/4 cup plus 2 tablespoons packed brown sugar, divided
- Drain whole tomatoes, pouring juice into a Dutch oven; set tomatoes aside. Add the chicken broth, crushed tomatoes, condensed chicken broth, tomato paste, vinegar, basil and thyme to the pan. Bring to a boil. Reduce heat; simmer, uncovered, for 50-60 minutes or until slightly thickened.
- Pierce reserved tomatoes; place in a greased 15-in. x 10-in. x 1-in. baking pan. Sprinkle with onion and 1/4 cup brown sugar. Bake at 450° for 20-30 minutes or until onion is tender. Cool slightly and chop.
- Discard thyme sprigs from soup. Stir in roasted tomato mixture and remaining brown sugar; heat through. Serve warm or cold. Yield: 11 servings.
Originally published as Roasted Tomato Soup in Taste of Home's Holiday & Celebrations Cookbook Annual 2011, p240
Reviews for Roasted Tomato Soup with Basil
Please Log In or Join to add a rating and review.
Click stars to rate
Any changes to your rating or review will appear where you originally posted your review