Roasted Tomato Soup Recipe
Using canned whole tomatoes means this recipe can easily be made throughout the year. The secret to the soup's great taste is fresh basil...the more the better as far as I'm concerned!
- 2 cans (28 ounces each) whole tomatoes, undrained
- 1 carton (32 ounces) chicken broth
- 1 can (28 ounces) crushed tomatoes
- 1 can (10-1/2 ounces) condensed chicken broth, undiluted
- 1 can (6 ounces) tomato paste
- 1/3 cup balsamic vinegar
- 1/4 cup thinly sliced fresh basil leaves
- 3 fresh thyme sprigs
- 1 large onion, finely chopped
- 1/4 cup plus 2 tablespoons packed brown sugar, divided
- Drain whole tomatoes, pouring juice into a Dutch oven; set tomatoes aside. Add the chicken broth, crushed tomatoes, condensed chicken broth, tomato paste, vinegar, basil and thyme to the pan. Bring to a boil. Reduce heat; simmer, uncovered, for 50-60 minutes or until slightly thickened.
- Pierce reserved tomatoes; place in a greased 15-in. x 10-in. x 1-in. baking pan. Sprinkle with onion and 1/4 cup brown sugar. Bake at 450° for 20-30 minutes or until onion is tender. Cool slightly and chop.
- Discard thyme sprigs from soup. Stir in roasted tomato mixture and remaining brown sugar; heat through. Serve warm or cold. Yield: 11 servings.
Originally published as Roasted Tomato Soup in Taste of Home's Holiday & Celebrations Cookbook Annual 2011, p240
Reviews for Roasted Tomato Soup(0)
Please Log In or Join to add a rating and review.
Click stars to rate
Any changes to your rating or review will appear where you originally posted your review