Roasted Tomato and Pepper Soup Recipe
You’ll want to capture the rich flavor of roasted tomato, pepper, onion and garlic in this colorful soup. Add cubed bread pieces for the perfect light vegetarian meal.Debby Harden, Williamston, Michigan
- 2 pounds plum tomatoes, halved lengthwise
- 2 medium sweet red peppers, quartered and seeded
- 2 medium onions, finely chopped
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 3 garlic cloves, minced
- 2 teaspoons ground cumin
- 1 teaspoon ground coriander
- 1 carton (32 ounces) reduced-sodium chicken broth
- 3 slices day-old French bread (1 inch thick), crusts removed and cubed
- 1 tablespoon balsamic vinegar
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
- Shaved Parmesan cheese
- Place tomatoes and peppers, cut side down, in a 15-in. x 10-in. x 1-in. baking pan. Bake at 425° for 20 minutes. Turn tomatoes and peppers; bake 10-15 minutes longer or until skins are blistered and blackened.
- Immediately place peppers and tomatoes in a large bowl; cover and let stand for 10 minutes. Peel off and discard skins; coarsely chop tomatoes and peppers.
- In a large saucepan, saute onions in oil until tender. Add the garlic, cumin and coriander; saute 1 minute longer. Add the broth, tomatoes and peppers. Bring to a boil. Reduce heat; simmer, uncovered, for 30 minutes.
- Stir in the bread, vinegar, salt and pepper; heat through. Sprinkle servings with cheese. Yield: 4 servings.
Originally published as Roasted Tomato and Pepper Soup in Country Woman August/September 2012, p35
Reviews for Roasted Tomato and Pepper Soup(1)
Please Log In or Join to add a rating and review.
Click stars to rate
Any changes to your rating or review will appear where you originally posted your review
Sort By :
Reviewed Sep. 14, 2012
Excellent! I used standard tomatoes out of the garden and worked perfect! The 2nd time I also added a handful of pasta the last 10 minutes of cooking. Both ways are great and willl put this recipe in my "go to" file for soup.
More Recipe Collections
- Broth Soup Recipes >
- Cheese Recipes >
- Christmas Recipes >
- Country Woman Recipes >
- Country Woman Soup Recipes >
- Italian Recipes >
- Italian Soup >
- Italian Soups >
- Low Fat Recipes >
- Low Fat Soup Recipes >
- Pepper Soup >
- Soup Recipes >