Roasted Tomato and Pepper Soup Recipe
- 2 pounds plum tomatoes, halved lengthwise
- 2 medium sweet red peppers, quartered and seeded
- 2 medium onions, finely chopped
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 3 garlic cloves, minced
- 2 teaspoons ground cumin
- 1 teaspoon ground coriander
- 1 carton (32 ounces) reduced-sodium chicken broth
- 3 slices day-old French bread (1 inch thick), crusts removed and cubed
- 1 tablespoon balsamic vinegar
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
- Shaved Parmesan cheese
- 1. Place tomatoes and peppers, cut side down, in a 15-in. x 10-in. x 1-in. baking pan. Bake at 425° for 20 minutes. Turn tomatoes and peppers; bake 10-15 minutes longer or until skins are blistered and blackened.
- 2. Immediately place peppers and tomatoes in a large bowl; cover and let stand for 10 minutes. Peel off and discard skins; coarsely chop tomatoes and peppers.
- 3. In a large saucepan, saute onions in oil until tender. Add the garlic, cumin and coriander; saute 1 minute longer. Add the broth, tomatoes and peppers. Bring to a boil. Reduce heat; simmer, uncovered, for 30 minutes.
- 4. Stir in the bread, vinegar, salt and pepper; heat through. Sprinkle servings with cheese. Yield: 4 servings.
1 cup (calculated without cheese): 193 calories, 8g fat (1g saturated fat), 0mg cholesterol, 781mg sodium, 26g carbohydrate (14g sugars, 6g fiber), 8g protein .
Reviews for Roasted Tomato and Pepper Soup
"Great soup!!! Thought about adding stuff, and maybe will next time, but a real hit with me as is! Good job!"
"Excellent! I used standard tomatoes out of the garden and worked perfect! The 2nd time I also added a handful of pasta the last 10 minutes of cooking. Both ways are great and willl put this recipe in my "go to" file for soup."