Roasted Tomato and Pepper Soup Recipe
You’ll want to capture the rich flavor of roasted tomato, pepper, onion and garlic in this colorful soup. Add cubed bread pieces for the perfect light vegetarian meal. —Debby Harden, Williamston, Michigan
TOTAL TIME: Prep: 45 min. Cook: 45 min. YIELD:4 servings
- 2 pounds plum tomatoes, halved lengthwise
- 2 medium sweet red peppers, quartered and seeded
- 2 medium onions, finely chopped
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 3 garlic cloves, minced
- 2 teaspoons ground cumin
- 1 teaspoon ground coriander
- 1 carton (32 ounces) reduced-sodium chicken broth
- 3 slices day-old French bread (1 inch thick), crusts removed and cubed
- 1 tablespoon balsamic vinegar
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
- Shaved Parmesan cheese
- 1. Place tomatoes and peppers, cut side down, in a 15-in. x 10-in. x 1-in. baking pan. Bake at 425° for 20 minutes. Turn tomatoes and peppers; bake 10-15 minutes longer or until skins are blistered and blackened.
- 2. Immediately place peppers and tomatoes in a large bowl; cover and let stand for 10 minutes. Peel off and discard skins; coarsely chop tomatoes and peppers.
- 3. In a large saucepan, saute onions in oil until tender. Add the garlic, cumin and coriander; saute 1 minute longer. Add the broth, tomatoes and peppers. Bring to a boil. Reduce heat; simmer, uncovered, for 30 minutes.
- 4. Stir in the bread, vinegar, salt and pepper; heat through. Sprinkle servings with cheese. Yield: 4 servings.
1 cup equals 193 calories, 8 g fat (1 g saturated fat), 0 cholesterol, 781 mg sodium, 26 g carbohydrate, 6 g fiber, 8 g protein.
© 2014 RDA Enthusiast Brands, LLC