Roasted Tomato 'n' Garlic Mayonnaise Recipe
“We love to use this versatile mayo on any sandwich, but it's especially good on a BLT. I usually make a big batch on the weekends and use it as leftovers to dress up any evening meal.” —Cindie Haras of Boca Raton, Florida
TOTAL TIME: Prep: 15 min. Bake: 35 min. + cooling YIELD:13 servings
- 4 plum tomatoes
- 3 teaspoons olive oil, divided
- 1 teaspoon each dried basil, oregano and rosemary, crushed
- 1/4 teaspoon coarsely ground pepper
- 1/2 teaspoon salt, divided
- 1 whole garlic bulb
- 3/4 cup reduced-fat mayonnaise
- 1. Cut tomatoes in half lengthwise; drizzle cut sides with 1-1/2 teaspoons oil. Combine the herbs, pepper and 1/4 teaspoon salt; sprinkle over tomatoes. Place cut side down on a baking sheet coated with cooking spray.
- 2. Remove papery outer skin from garlic (do not peel or separate cloves). Cut top off garlic bulb. Brush with 1/2 teaspoon oil. Wrap in heavy-duty foil; place on baking sheet with tomatoes. Bake at 425° for 15 minutes.
- 3. Turn tomatoes; drizzle with remaining oil. Bake 20-25 minutes longer or until garlic is tender and tomatoes are softened. Cool for 10 minutes.
- 4. Squeeze softened garlic into a small bowl; chop tomatoes and add to garlic. Stir in mayonnaise and remaining salt until blended. Yield: 1-2/3 cups.
2 tablespoons equals 61 calories, 6 g fat (1 g saturated fat), 5 mg cholesterol, 203 mg sodium, 2 g carbohydrate, trace fiber, trace protein. Diabetic Exchange: 1 fat.
© 2014 RDA Enthusiast Brands, LLC