Roasted Squash Soup Recipe
A friend gave me this wonderful recipe that calls for sage. My family frequently requests this rich and nicely seasoned soup.—Cathy Edge, Lake Oswego, Oregon
- 1 butternut squash (2-1/2 pounds)
- 1 cup chopped onion
- 1 tablespoon minced fresh sage or 1 teaspoon rubbed sage
- Pinch ground allspice
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 4 cups chicken broth
- 1 small tart apple, peeled and chopped
- 1-1/2 teaspoons lemon or lime juice
- Pepper to taste
- 1/3 cup sour cream
- 1/2 teaspoon lemon or lime juice
- 1/4 teaspoon grated lemon or lime peel
- 1. Cut squash in half lengthwise; scoop out seeds. Place squash cut side down in a greased baking dish. Bake, uncovered, at 400° for 50-60 minutes or until tender. When cool enough to handle, scoop out squash. Place squash in a bowl and mash; set aside.
- 2. In a large saucepan, saute onion, sage and allspice in butter until tender. Add broth and apple; bring to a boil. Reduce heat; cover and simmer until apple is tender, about 8 minutes. Add reserved squash; simmer 5 minutes longer. Cool until lukewarm. Process in small batches in a blender or food processor until smooth; return to pan. Add the lemon juice and pepper; heat through. Combine topping ingredients; place a dollop on each serving. Yield: 6 servings.
1 cup: 119 calories, 5g fat (0 saturated fat), 3mg cholesterol, 121mg sodium, 17g carbohydrate (0 sugars, 0 fiber), 3g protein. Diabetic Exchanges: 1 starch, 1 fat.
Reviews for Roasted Squash Soup
© 2016 RDA Enthusiast Brands, LLC