- 1 butternut squash (2-1/2 pounds)
- 1 cup chopped onion
- 1 tablespoon minced fresh sage or 1 teaspoon rubbed sage
- Pinch ground allspice
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 4 cups chicken broth
- 1 small tart apple, peeled and chopped
- 1-1/2 teaspoons lemon or lime juice
- Pepper to taste
- 1/3 cup sour cream
- 1/2 teaspoon lemon or lime juice
- 1/4 teaspoon grated lemon or lime peel
- Cut squash in half lengthwise; scoop out seeds. Place squash cut side down in a greased baking dish. Bake, uncovered, at 400° for 50-60 minutes or until tender. When cool enough to handle, scoop out squash. Place squash in a bowl and mash; set aside.
- In a large saucepan, saute onion, sage and allspice in butter until tender. Add broth and apple; bring to a boil. Reduce heat; cover and simmer until apple is tender, about 8 minutes. Add reserved squash; simmer 5 minutes longer. Cool until lukewarm. Process in small batches in a blender or food processor until smooth; return to pan. Add the lemon juice and pepper; heat through. Combine topping ingredients; place a dollop on each serving. Yield: 6 servings.
Originally published as Roasted Squash Soup in Taste of Home October/November 1999, p41
Reviews for Roasted Squash Soup
Please Log In or Join to add a rating and review.
Click stars to rate
Any changes to your rating or review will appear where you originally posted your review
Sort By :
Reviewed Dec. 23, 2011
"This was an awesome soup, full bodied enough to have as a luncheon meal. The family loved it as I served prior to a barbeque steak dinner."