Guests will never guess that beets are the featured ingredient in this deliciously different appetizer. But they will agree the flavor is fabulous!—Cheryl Perry, Hertford, North Carolina
Recommended: 57 Recipes with Fresh Herbs
VERIFIED BY Taste of Home Test Kitchen
- 3 medium fresh beets (about 1 pound)
- 24 fresh rosemary sprigs (3 inches)
- 1/4 cup olive oil
- 1 tablespoon grated orange peel
- 2 teaspoons minced fresh gingerroot
- 1 teaspoon pepper
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- POMEGRANATE SAUCE:
- 1 cup pomegranate juice
- 2/3 cup sugar
- 1-1/2 teaspoons lemon juice
- 1 tablespoon brown sugar
- 1 tablespoon water
- Scrub beets; cut each into 16 wedges. Poke a hole through each wedge with a wooden skewer. Thread two wedges onto each rosemary sprig. Place in a greased shallow baking pan.
- In a small bowl, combine the oil, orange peel, ginger, pepper and salt. Drizzle over beets; gently toss to coat. Bake at 350° for 20-30 minutes or until beets are tender, turning once.
- Meanwhile, in a small saucepan, combine the pomegranate juice, sugar and lemon juice. Bring to a boil. Reduce heat; simmer, uncovered, until mixture is syrupy and reduced by half. Stir in brown sugar and water. Serve with beets. Yield: 4 dozen (2/3 cup sauce).
Originally published as Roasted Rosemary Beet Skewers in Taste of Home's Holiday & Celebrations Cookbook Annual 2008, p26