Baking root vegetables in the oven instead of steaming them in the microwave makes them especially tender. Plus, they give my house a wonderful aroma.—Rebecca Dornfeld, Grass Lake, Michigan
- 3 large red potatoes, cut into 1-inch cubes
- 1 large red onion, cut into wedges
- 5 medium carrots, halved and quartered
- 2 medium turnips, peeled and quartered
- 2 medium parsnips, peeled and cut into 1/4-inch strips
- 1 small rutabaga, peeled and cut into 3/4-inch cubes
- 2 tablespoons canola oil
- 1 teaspoon dried thyme
- 1/8 teaspoon pepper
- Toss all of the ingredients in a large bowl. Transfer to a 15-in. x 10-in. x 1-in. baking pan coated with cooking spray.
- Bake, uncovered, at 425° for 40-50 minutes or until vegetables are tender, stirring occasionally. Yield: 15 servings.
Originally published as Roasted Root Veggies in Country Woman September/October 1996, p36
Reviews for Roasted Root Veggies
Please Log In or Join to add a rating and review.
Click stars to rate
Any changes to your rating or review will appear where you originally posted your review
Reviewed Feb. 22, 2010
"I love the taste and aroma of this dish. I have made it several times and am happy to try some new vegetables I've shied away from in the past--turnip, rutabaga and parsnips. Goes great with roast beef."