Roasted Red Peppers Soup
If you like cream of tomato soup, try making it with purchased roasted red peppers. Using jarred roasted red peppers makes it extra easy and pureeing the soup in a blender gives it a nice smooth texture.
6 ServingsPrep: 10 min. Cook: 25 min.
- 1 large sweet onion, chopped
- 2 teaspoons butter
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 2 jars (15-1/2 ounces each) roasted sweet red peppers, drained
- 2 cups vegetable broth
- 1/2 teaspoon dried basil
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1 cup half-and-half cream
- In a large saucepan, saute onion in butter for 2-3 minutes or until
- tender. Add garlic; cook 1 minute longer. Stir in the red peppers,
- broth, basil and salt. Bring to a boil. Reduce heat; cover and
- simmer for 20 minutes. Cool slightly.
- In a blender, cover and process soup in batches until smooth. Remove
- 1 cup to a small bowl; stir in cream. Return remaining puree to pan.
- Stir in the cream mixture; heat through (do not boil). Yield: 6
Nutritional Facts: 1 cup equals 135 calories, 6 g fat (3 g saturated fat), 23 mg cholesterol, 753 mg sodium, 21 g carbohydrate, 1 g fiber, 2 g protein. Diabetic Exchanges: 1 starch, 1 vegetable, 1 fat.