Roasted Red Pepper Soup Recipe
I love oven-roasted peppers especially when I transform them into this silky soup seasoned with garlic and thyme. Dip a grilled cheese sandwich into it and enjoy! —Kathy Rairigh, Milford, IN
TOTAL TIME: Prep: 45 min. Cook: 30 min. YIELD:12 servings
- 2 pounds sweet red peppers, cut into 1-in. pieces (about 6 medium)
- 1 large onion, sliced
- 2 medium carrots, sliced
- 1 jalapeno pepper, quartered and seeded
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 5 garlic cloves, minced
- 2 tablespoons whole fresh thyme leaves plus 1 teaspoon minced fresh thyme, divided
- 4 cups vegetable broth or water
- 4 cups chicken broth
- 2 cups cubed peeled potatoes
- 2 cups cubed peeled sweet potato
- 2 cups cubed peeled butternut squash
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1/8 teaspoon pepper
- 1. Place the red peppers, onion, carrots and jalapeno in two greased 15-in. x 10-in. x 1-in. baking pans; drizzle with oil and toss to coat. Bake at 425° for 25-30 minutes or until tender, stirring occasionally. Add garlic and whole thyme leaves; bake 5 minutes longer.
- 2. Meanwhile, in a Dutch oven, combine the vegetable broth, chicken broth, potatoes, sweet potato, squash, salt, pepper and minced thyme. Bring to a boil. Reduce heat; cover and simmer for 15 minutes or until vegetables are tender.
- 3. Add roasted pepper mixture; cook 5 minutes longer. Cool slightly. In a blender, process soup in batches until smooth. Return all to the pan and heat through. Yield: 12 servings (3 quarts).
1 cup equals 113 calories, 3 g fat (trace saturated fat), 2 mg cholesterol, 862 mg sodium, 21 g carbohydrate, 4 g fiber, 3 g protein.
© 2014 RDA Enthusiast Brands, LLC