- 2 pounds sweet red peppers, cut into 1-in. pieces (about 6 medium)
- 1 large onion, sliced
- 2 medium carrots, sliced
- 1 jalapeno pepper, quartered and seeded
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 5 garlic cloves, minced
- 2 tablespoons whole fresh thyme leaves plus 1 teaspoon minced fresh thyme, divided
- 4 cups vegetable broth or water
- 4 cups chicken broth
- 2 cups cubed peeled potatoes
- 2 cups cubed peeled sweet potato
- 2 cups cubed peeled butternut squash
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1/8 teaspoon pepper
- Place the red peppers, onion, carrots and jalapeno in two greased 15x10x1-in. baking pans; drizzle with oil and toss to coat. Bake at 425° for 25-30 minutes or until tender, stirring occasionally. Add garlic and whole thyme leaves; bake 5 minutes longer.
- Meanwhile, in a Dutch oven, combine the vegetable broth, chicken broth, potatoes, sweet potato, squash, salt, pepper and minced thyme. Bring to a boil. Reduce heat; cover and simmer for 15 minutes or until vegetables are tender.
- Add roasted pepper mixture; cook 5 minutes longer. Cool slightly. In a blender, process soup in batches until smooth. Return all to the pan and heat through. Yield: 12 servings (3 quarts).
Reviews for Roasted Red Pepper Soup
"Excellent! Took Vr_Lynn's suggestion (thank you!) and roasted the potatoes, squash, peppers, onion, carrots and jalape?o in the oven. Quicker and worked great. Also used an immersion blender which allows you to keep the soup thick or thin, depending on how much you blend it. Do add the jalape?o -- gives it a nice little kick and complements the peppers. Makes a lot and is a great healthy soup. (And btw, the soup does come out orange, not red.)"
"I completely followed the recipe. The color of the soup came out a pumpkin/carrot color. What happened to the red as shown in the picture?The taste was fine and did work well with a toasted cheese sandwich."
"Delicious!! You could virtually smell the beta-carotene in the air! I made one change: I roasted the squash, halved, in the oven & also roasted the diced sweet potatoes. This is a very, very good recipe; I'm so glad I found it."