- 2 pounds sweet red peppers, cut into 1-in. pieces (about 6 medium)
- 1 large onion, sliced
- 2 medium carrots, sliced
- 1 jalapeno pepper, quartered and seeded
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 5 garlic cloves, minced
- 2 tablespoons whole fresh thyme leaves plus 1 teaspoon minced fresh thyme, divided
- 4 cups vegetable broth or water
- 4 cups chicken broth
- 2 cups cubed peeled potatoes
- 2 cups cubed peeled sweet potato
- 2 cups cubed peeled butternut squash
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1/8 teaspoon pepper
- Place the red peppers, onion, carrots and jalapeno in two greased 15-in. x 10-in. x 1-in. baking pans; drizzle with oil and toss to coat. Bake at 425° for 25-30 minutes or until tender, stirring occasionally. Add garlic and whole thyme leaves; bake 5 minutes longer.
- Meanwhile, in a Dutch oven, combine the vegetable broth, chicken broth, potatoes, sweet potato, squash, salt, pepper and minced thyme. Bring to a boil. Reduce heat; cover and simmer for 15 minutes or until vegetables are tender.
- Add roasted pepper mixture; cook 5 minutes longer. Cool slightly. In a blender, process soup in batches until smooth. Return all to the pan and heat through. Yield: 12 servings (3 quarts).
Originally published as Roasted Red Pepper Soup in Country Woman August/September 2009, p29
Reviews for Roasted Red Pepper Soup
Please Log In or Join to add a rating and review.
Click stars to rate
Any changes to your rating or review will appear where you originally posted your review
Sort By :
Reviewed Jan. 15, 2013
"Delicious!! You could virtually smell the beta-carotene in the air! I made one change: I roasted the squash, halved, in the oven & also roasted the diced sweet potatoes. This is a very, very good recipe; I'm so glad I found it."