I often use Greek olives with the artichoke hearts to add zing to this pasta sauce," says Genie Tosh. "Roast the peppers yourself if you have the time," suggests the Waynesville, Ohio reader.
Recommended: The 30-Minute Thanksgiving Dinner
- 4 pounds plum tomatoes (about 17), coarsely chopped
- 1 large sweet onion, chopped
- 1 can (29 ounces) tomato puree
- 3 jars (7 ounces each) roasted sweet red peppers, drained and chopped
- 2 jars (6-1/2 ounces each) marinated artichoke hearts, drained and chopped
- 1/2 pound fresh mushrooms, quartered
- 2 cans (2-1/4 ounces each) sliced ripe olives, drained
- 1/4 cup sugar
- 1/4 cup balsamic vinegar
- 1/4 cup olive oil
- 3 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 tablespoon dried basil
- 1 tablespoon dried oregano
- 1 teaspoon salt
- Hot cooked pasta
- In a 5-qt. slow cooker, combine the first 14 ingredients. Cover and cook on high for 4 hours or until flavors are blended. Serve with pasta. Yield: about 15 cups.
Originally published as Roasted Red Pepper Sauce in Quick Cooking May/June 2004, p52
Medium-Bodied Red Wine
Enjoy this recipe with a medium-bodied red wine such as Chianti, Sangiovese, Malbec or Zinfandel.
Reviews for Roasted Red Pepper Sauce
Please Log In or Join to add a rating and review.
Click stars to rate
Any changes to your rating or review will appear where you originally posted your review