In 1998, I was the chairman of the 4-H committee designated to assemble a cookbook. This recipe was submitted by an 11-year-old boy, who used it for one of his baking projects.
Recommended: 70 Budget-Friendly Dinners That Are Big on Taste
- 1 teaspoon cornmeal
- 1-3/4 cups all-purpose flour
- 3 tablespoons sugar
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon coarsely ground pepper, divided
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1 egg
- 3/4 cup buttermilk
- 1/4 cup vegetable oil
- 2/3 cup chopped roasted sweet red peppers
- 1/2 cup shredded part-skim mozzarella cheese
- Grease muffin cups and sprinkle with the cornmeal; set aside. In a large bowl, combine the flour, sugar, baking powder, 1/4 teaspoon pepper and salt. In another bowl, beat the egg, buttermilk and oil. Stir into dry ingredients just until moistened. Fold in red pepper and cheese.
- Fill prepared muffin cups two-thirds full. Sprinkle with remaining pepper. Bake at 400° for 20-25 minutes or until a toothpick comes out clean. Cool for 5 minutes before removing from pan to a wire rack. Serve warm. Refrigerate leftovers. Yield: 1 dozen.
Originally published as Roasted Red Pepper Muffins in Best of Country Breads 2000, p15
Reviews for Roasted Red Pepper Muffins
Please Log In or Join to add a rating and review.
Click stars to rate
Any changes to your rating or review will appear where you originally posted your review