Roasted Red Pepper Bread Recipe
- 1-1/2 cups roasted sweet red peppers, drained
- 1 package (1/4 ounce) active dry yeast
- 2 tablespoons warm water (110° to 115°)
- 1-1/4 cups grated Parmesan cheese, divided
- 1/3 cup warm 2% milk (110° to 115°)
- 2 tablespoons butter, softened
- 1-1/4 teaspoons salt
- 3-1/4 to 3-3/4 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 large egg
- 1 tablespoon water
- 1-1/2 teaspoons coarsely ground pepper
- 1. Place red peppers in a food processor; cover and process until pureed. In a large bowl, dissolve yeast in warm water. Add the red peppers, 1 cup cheese, milk, butter, salt and 1-1/2 cups flour. Beat until smooth. Stir in enough remaining flour to form a firm dough.
- 2. Turn onto a floured surface; knead until smooth and elastic, about 6-8 minutes. Place in a greased bowl, turning once to grease the top. Cover and let rise in a warm place until doubled, about 1 hour.
- 3. Punch dough down. Turn onto a lightly floured surface; divide dough into six pieces. Shape each into a 18-in. rope. Place three ropes on a greased baking sheet and braid; pinch ends to seal and tuck under. Repeat with remaining dough. Cover and let rise until doubled, about 1 hour.
- 4. In a small bowl, combine egg and water; brush over braids. Sprinkle with pepper and remaining cheese. Bake at 350° for 18-22 minutes or until golden brown. Yield: 2 loaves (12 slices each).
1 slice equals 99 calories, 3 g fat (1 g saturated fat), 15 mg cholesterol, 254 mg sodium, 14 g carbohydrate, 1 g fiber, 4 g protein. Diabetic Exchange: 1 starch.
Reviews for Roasted Red Pepper Bread
"I made this for a potluck and everyone loved it. Now I'm asked to make it for any get together."