Roasted Pork Shoulder Recipe
When I discovered Puerto Rican food, I was hooked. I’ve made this recipe my very own through trial and error, by researching ingredients and adding more or less of them to my taste. I think the results in this dish are just right.
TOTAL TIME: Prep: 15 min. + marinating Bake: 2-1/2 hours YIELD:8 servings
- 1/2 cup white wine vinegar
- 1/2 cup olive oil
- 12 garlic cloves, peeled
- 1/4 cup minced fresh cilantro
- 3 tablespoons kosher salt
- 3 tablespoons chili powder
- 2 tablespoons dried oregano
- 2 tablespoons whole peppercorns
- 1 boneless pork shoulder butt roast (3 to 4 pounds)
- 10 cups water
- 1. In a food processor, combine the first eight ingredients. Cover and process until combined. Pour into a large resealable plastic bag; add the pork. Seal bag and turn to coat. Refrigerate for 8 hours or overnight.
- 2. Drain and discard marinade. Place roast on a rack in a roasting pan; pour 2 cups water into pan.
- 3. Bake, uncovered, at 450° for 1 hour. Reduce heat to 400°. Bake 1-1/2 to 2 hours longer or until meat is tender, adding more water to the pan as needed. Let stand for 15 minutes before slicing. Yield: 8 servings.
4 ounces cooked pork equals 340 calories, 23 g fat (7 g saturated fat), 101 mg cholesterol, 1,050 mg sodium, 2 g carbohydrate, 1 g fiber, 29 g protein.
© 2014 RDA Enthusiast Brands, LLC