Roasted Pepper Tart Recipe
For a picnic, I whisked this tart out of the oven, wrapped it in foil and headed out. My friends were surprised and delighted when they tasted it. —Marian Platt, Sequim, Washington
TOTAL TIME: Prep: 20 min. + chilling Bake: 40 min. + cooling YIELD:12 servings
- 1-1/2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1/8 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 cup cold butter, cubed
- 3 to 4 tablespoons water
- 3 medium sweet red peppers, halved and seeded
- 2 medium green bell peppers, halved and seeded
- 1/3 cup olive oil
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 4-1/2 teaspoons minced fresh oregano
- 2 cups (8 ounces) shredded Monterey Jack cheese, divided
- 1 can (2-1/4 ounces) sliced ripe olives, drained
- 1. In a large bowl, combine flour and salt; cut in butter until crumbly. Gradually add water, tossing with a fork until dough forms a ball. Cover and refrigerate for 1 hour.
- 2. Broil peppers 4 in. from the heat until skins are blistered and blackened, about 10 minutes. Immediately place peppers in a bowl; cover and let stand for 15-20 minutes. Peel off and discard charred skin. Coarsely chop peppers; place in a bowl. Add oil, garlic and oregano; toss to coat. Set aside.
- 3. Roll out dough to fit a 12-in. pizza pan. Transfer to pan. Prick dough thoroughly with a fork. Bake at 350° for 30-35 minutes or until lightly browned and crust begins pulling away from edges of pan. Cool completely.
- 4. Sprinkle 1 cup cheese over crust. Sprinkle with pepper mixture and remaining cheese. Arrange olives around edge. Bake at 350° for 10-15 minutes or until cheese is melted. Serve immediately. Yield: 12 servings.
1 serving (1 slice) equals 268 calories, 20 g fat (9 g saturated fat), 37 mg cholesterol, 251 mg sodium, 16 g carbohydrate, 2 g fiber, 7 g protein.
© 2014 RDA Enthusiast Brands, LLC