Roasted Pepper Chicken Sandwiches Recipe
- 1 tablespoon lemon juice
- 1 tablespoon Dijon mustard
- 2 teaspoons olive oil
- 1 garlic clove, minced
- 1/4 teaspoon dried thyme
- 1/4 teaspoon dried marjoram
- 4 boneless skinless chicken breast halves (4 ounces each)
- PEPPER MIXTURE:
- 1 large onion, thinly sliced
- 1 teaspoon sugar
- 4 garlic cloves, minced
- 3/4 teaspoon fennel seed, crushed
- 1/4 teaspoon crushed red pepper flakes
- 1/8 teaspoon salt
- 1/8 teaspoon pepper
- 1 jar (7 ounces) roasted sweet red peppers, drained and sliced
- 1 tablespoon red wine vinegar
- 1 loaf (8 ounces) focaccia bread
- 4 teaspoons fat-free mayonnaise
- 4 slices reduced-fat Swiss cheese
- 1. In a large resealable plastic bag, combine the first six ingredients; add chicken. Seal bag and turn to coat; refrigerate for 1 hour.
- 2. In a large nonstick skillet coated with cooking spray, cook and stir onion and sugar over medium heat until tender. Add garlic and seasonings; cook for 1 minute. Stir in roasted peppers and vinegar; cook 2 minutes longer. Remove from the heat; keep warm.
- 3. Drain chicken if necessary, discarding any excess marinade. Moisten a paper towel with cooking oil; using long-handled tongs, lightly coat the grill rack.
- 4. Grill chicken, covered, over medium heat or broil 4 in. from the heat for 4-7 minutes on each side or until a thermometer reads 170°. Cut into 1/2-in. strips.
- 5. Cut focaccia in half lengthwise; spread mayonnaise over cut side of bread bottom. Layer with cheese, chicken strips and pepper mixture. Replace bread top; lightly press down. Grill, covered, for 2-3 minutes or until cheese is melted. Cut into four sandwiches. Yield: 4 servings.
1 each: 404 calories, 11g fat (3g saturated fat), 73mg cholesterol, 795mg sodium, 41g carbohydrate (8g sugars, 2g fiber), 35g protein
Reviews for Roasted Pepper Chicken Sandwiches
"Excellent! Lots of flavor. We loved it. I can't believe the chicken was so flavorful after an hour of marinating, but it was great. I used whole wheat sandwich thins because that was what we had. Will make again soon."
"We loved this sandwich. I flattened the chicken breasts fairly thin, maybe 3/8 of an inch thick so they grilled quickly and cooked through evenly. Very flavorful and I think it would taste just as good without the vinegar if you aren't a vinegar fan."