- In a large resealable plastic bag, combine the first six ingredients;
- add chicken. Seal bag and turn to coat; refrigerate for 1 hour.
- In a large nonstick skillet coated with cooking spray, cook and stir
- onion and sugar over medium heat until tender. Add garlic and
- seasonings; cook for 1 minute. Stir in roasted peppers and vinegar;
- cook 2 minutes longer. Remove from the heat; keep warm.
- Drain chicken if necessary, discarding any excess marinade. Moisten a
- paper towel with cooking oil; using long-handled tongs, lightly coat
- the grill rack.
- Grill chicken, covered, over medium heat or broil 4 in. from the heat
- for 4-7 minutes on each side or until a thermometer reads 170°.
- Cut into 1/2-in. strips.
- Cut focaccia in half lengthwise; spread mayonnaise over cut side of
- bread bottom. Layer with cheese, chicken strips and pepper mixture.
- Replace bread top; lightly press down. Grill, covered, for 2-3
- minutes or until cheese is melted. Cut into four sandwiches. Yield:
- 4 servings.
Nutritional Facts: 1 sandwich equals 404 calories, 11 g fat (3 g saturated fat), 73 mg cholesterol, 795 mg sodium, 41 g carbohydrate, 2 g fiber, 35 g protein. Diabetic Exchanges: 4 lean meat, 2 starch, 1 vegetable.
Wine: Full-Bodied White Wine: Enjoy this recipe with a full-bodied white wine such as Chardonnay or Viognier.