Roasted Pepper Chicken Penne Recipe
- 1 pound boneless skinless chicken breasts, cut into 1-inch strips
- 1/4 cup balsamic vinegar
- 1 package (16 ounces) penne pasta
- 1 medium onion, sliced
- 3 garlic cloves, sliced
- 1/4 cup olive oil
- 1 can (28 ounces) crushed tomatoes
- 1 cup julienned roasted sweet red peppers
- 1 cup chicken broth
- 3 teaspoons Italian seasoning
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1 cup shredded Parmesan cheese
- 1. Place chicken in a large resealable plastic bag; add vinegar. Seal bag and turn to coat; refrigerate for 15 minutes.
- 2. Cook pasta according to package directions. Meanwhile, in a large skillet, saute onion and garlic in oil for 1 minute. Drain and discard vinegar. Add chicken to skillet; cook for 4-5 minutes or until meat is no longer pink.
- 3. Stir in the tomatoes, red peppers, broth, Italian seasoning and salt. Bring to a boil over medium heat; cook and stir for 4-5 minutes or until heated through. Drain pasta; toss with chicken mixture. Sprinkle with cheese. Yield: 8 servings.
1-1/2 cups: 424 calories, 12g fat (3g saturated fat), 39mg cholesterol, 641mg sodium, 53g carbohydrate (5g sugars, 4g fiber), 25g protein.
Reviews for Roasted Pepper Chicken Penne
"My husband and I really liked this dish. I do see where others say this is bland by following the recipe as stated. The sauce definitely needs to cook longer than stated to develop more flavor, at least 15-20 minutes of simmering. Also don't toss out the extra balsamic. It will enhance the flavor by using it all, when browning the chicken. I did have to add a bit more seasoning to taste and added a dash of red pepper flakes. But overall this was a nice flavorful dish. It was really good with wheat pasta to make it healthier. Serve with a nice crusty bread to dip in the extra sauce and a salad for a nice dinner. Thank you for the recipe! I will make again!"
"This was good with the additional ingredients of red pepper & garlic powder. I even doused it with sirracha on my own plate for added flavor. I can see how people would find this bland. Not sure how it was a contest winner. The child picked out all the roasted pepper. For adults, this may join the 5 star rank with some Kalamata olives."
"It seemed to be missing something. Bland."
"Delicious!!!! I was soo pleased with this meal! Second time I made it I added some artichoke hearts ... YUMM!This is definately a keeper!"
"we added mushrooms to the recipe, and it is one of our favorites!"
"This dish was good but needed something to give it a litle zip. Next time I'll try the above suggestions with red pepper flakes and pepper."
Full-Bodied White Wine
Enjoy this recipe with a full-bodied white wine such as Chardonnay or Viognier.