Oven-roasted pears take the ho-hum out of this green salad created by our Test Kitchen staff. They tossed together a good-for-you medley of mellow pear slices, crispy greens, nuts and dried cranberries. The creamy dressing carries yet more pear flavor sweetened with just a touch of honey.
- 2 medium pears, halved and cored
- 4 teaspoons olive oil, divided
- 2 tablespoons cider vinegar
- 1 teaspoon water
- 1 teaspoon honey
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/8 teaspoon white pepper
- 1 package (10 ounces) mixed baby salad greens
- 1 cup watercress sprigs
- 1/4 cup chopped hazelnuts, toasted
- 1/4 cup dried cranberries
- In a small bowl, toss pears with 1 teaspoon oil. Place in a 15-in. x 10-in. x 1-in. baking pan coated with cooking spray. Bake at 400° for 10 minutes. Turn pears over; bake 5-7 minutes longer or until golden and tender.
- When cool enough to handle, peel pears. Thinly slice two pear halves lengthwise and set aside. Place remaining pear halves in a blender. Add the vinegar, water, honey, salt and white pepper; cover and process until smooth. While processing, gradually add the remaining oil in a steady stream.
- In a large bowl, toss the salad greens, watercress, hazelnuts and cranberries. Arrange reserved pear slices on top; drizzle with dressing. Yield: 4 servings.
Originally published as Roasted Pear Salad in Light & Tasty October/November 2004, p14
Reviews for Roasted Pear Salad
Please Log In or Join to add a rating and review.
Click stars to rate
Any changes to your rating or review will appear where you originally posted your review
Reviewed Jan. 16, 2011
"This was good. Liked adding the pears to the dressing for more pear flavoring. Served with Asian Pork Tenderloin."