- 1 turkey (12 to 14 pounds)
- 1/2 cup butter, softened
- 1/2 cup packed brown sugar
- 1/4 cup grated orange peel
- 1/2 teaspoon ground ginger
- 1 large navel orange, quartered
- 1 large apple, quartered
- 1 small onion, quartered
- 1 cup unsweetened apple juice
- 1/2 cup orange juice
- Preheat oven to 325°. Place turkey on a rack in a shallow roasting pan, breast side up. In a small bowl, combine butter, brown sugar, orange peel and ginger. With fingers, carefully loosen skin from turkey breast; rub some of the butter mixture under skin. Secure skin to underside of breast with toothpicks.
- Rub remaining butter mixture inside turkey cavity; fill with orange, apple and onion. Tuck wings under turkey; tie drumsticks together. Carefully pour juices over turkey.
- Bake, uncovered, 3 to 3-3/4 hours or until a thermometer inserted in thickest part of thigh reads 170°-175°, basting occasionally with pan drippings. Cover loosely with foil if turkey browns too quickly.
- Cover and let stand 20 minutes before carving. Discard fruit and onion from cavity. Skim fat and thicken pan juices if desired. Yield: 12 servings.
Originally published as Roasted Orange Turkey in Taste of Home's Holiday & Celebrations Cookbook Annual 2013, p95
Medium-Bodied White Wine
Enjoy this recipe with a medium-bodied white wine such as Riesling or Gewürtztraminer
Reviews for Roasted Orange Turkey
Please Log In or Join to add a rating and review.
Click stars to rate
Any changes to your rating or review will appear where you originally posted your review