Roasted Onion Spread
Our Test Kitchen home economists roast onions and garlic to mellow their flavor for this rich, buttery spread. It can be made ahead and reheated when needed.
6 ServingsPrep: 15 min. Bake: 65 min. + cooling
- 2 medium sweet onions, cut into 1/2-inch wedges
- 4 garlic cloves, peeled
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 tablespoon honey
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- Assorted crackers
- Preheat oven to 350°. Place onions and garlic in a large bowl.
- Add oil, honey and salt; toss to coat. Transfer to a greased
- 13x9-in. baking dish. Roast 65-75 minutes or until onions are golden
- brown and softened. Cool 10 minutes.
- Place onion mixture in a food processor; process 30 seconds or until
- blended. Transfer to a small bowl. Serve with crackers. Refrigerate
- leftovers. Yield: 3/4 cup.
Nutritional Facts: 2 tablespoons (calculated without crackers) equals 54 calories, 2 g fat (trace saturated fat), 0 cholesterol, 100 mg sodium, 8 g carbohydrate, 1 g fiber, 1 g protein.