Roasted Onion Salad Recipe
- 3 large sweet onions, cut into 1/2-inch slices
- 1/4 cup plus 1/2 teaspoon olive oil, divided
- 4 garlic cloves
- 8 cups torn mixed salad greens
- 1 cup (4 ounces) crumbled blue cheese
- 1/2 cup chopped walnuts, toasted
- 2 tablespoons white wine vinegar
- 2 shallots, quartered
- 1/4 cup minced fresh parsley
- 1/2 teaspoon crushed red pepper flakes
- 2/3 cup olive oil
- 1. Place onions in a 15-in. x 10-in. x 1-in. baking pan. Drizzle with 1/4 cup oil; toss to coat. Place garlic on a double thickness of heavy-duty foil. Drizzle with remaining oil. Wrap foil around garlic; place on baking pan with onions.
- 2. Bake at 400° for 40-45 minutes or until onions are lightly browned and garlic is tender, turning onions occasionally. Cool for 10-15 minutes.
- 3. In a large salad bowl, combine the greens, cheese and walnuts; top with onions.
- 4. For dressing, place vinegar and shallots in a blender; squeeze softened garlic into blender. Cover and pulse until blended. Add parsley and pepper flakes. Cover and process, gradually adding oil in a steady stream. Serve with salad. Yield: 8 servings.
1 each: 369 calories, 34g fat (7g saturated fat), 13mg cholesterol, 255mg sodium, 11g carbohydrate (3g sugars, 3g fiber), 7g protein.
Reviews for Roasted Onion Salad
"I liked the addition of roasted onion to my salad. I choose not to toss them with it for the picky eaters and just allowed people to add the onions to their salad at the table."
"Even with roasting the garlic, I found the dressing WAY too garlicky. I would cut it by 3/4 if I made this again."