Roasted Onion & Garlic Soup
When it comes to stirring up comfort in a bowl, Nancy Mueller knows her onions. Her low-fat soup-made with Vidalias or other sweet onions-is a cold-weather tonic for her and husband John of Menomonee Falls, Wisconsin.
8 ServingsPrep: 1 hour Cook: 10 min.
- 6 medium sweet onions
- 1 whole garlic bulb
- 3 cups reduced-sodium chicken broth, divided
- 1/2 cup buttermilk
- 1 tablespoon minced fresh thyme or 1 teaspoon dried thyme
- 1/2 teaspoon coarsely ground pepper
- 1/2 cup shredded Swiss cheese
- Place the unpeeled onions and garlic bulb in a 15-in. x 10-in. x
- 1-in. baking pan coated with cooking spray. Spritz with cooking
- spray. Bake, uncovered, at 450° for 50-60 minutes or until
- When cool enough to handle, peel the onions and garlic. Place in a
- blender; add 1 cup of broth. Cover and process until smooth;
- transfer to a large saucepan. Add the buttermilk, thyme, pepper and
- remaining broth; heat through. Garnish with cheese. Yield: 8
- servings (2 quarts).
Nutritional Facts: 1 cup equals 83 calories, 2 g fat (1 g saturated fat), 7 mg cholesterol, 270 mg sodium, 12 g carbohydrate, 2 g fiber, 5 g protein. Diabetic Exchanges: 2 vegetable, 1/2 fat.