- 6 medium sweet onions
- 1 whole garlic bulb
- 3 cups reduced-sodium chicken broth, divided
- 1/2 cup buttermilk
- 1 tablespoon minced fresh thyme or 1 teaspoon dried thyme
- 1/2 teaspoon coarsely ground pepper
- 1/2 cup shredded Swiss cheese
- Place the unpeeled onions and garlic bulb in a 15-in. x 10-in. x 1-in. baking pan coated with cooking spray. Spritz with cooking spray. Bake, uncovered, at 450° for 50-60 minutes or until tender.
- When cool enough to handle, peel the onions and garlic. Place in a blender; add 1 cup of broth. Cover and process until smooth; transfer to a large saucepan. Add the buttermilk, thyme, pepper and remaining broth; heat through. Garnish with cheese. Yield: 8 servings (2 quarts).
Originally published as Roasted Onion & Garlic Soup in Reminisce February/March 2010, p50
Reviews for Roasted Onion & Garlic Soup
Please Log In or Join to add a rating and review.
Click stars to rate
Any changes to your rating or review will appear where you originally posted your review
Sort By :
Reviewed Apr. 26, 2012
I think this recipe needs alot of work (seasoning). It's basically onion puree with chicken broth to thin it out and tastes like it too. The onions and garlic do however, smell fantastic when they are roasting.