When it comes to stirring up comfort in a bowl, Nancy Mueller knows her onions. Her low-fat soup-made with Vidalias or other sweet onions-is a cold-weather tonic for her and husband John of Menomonee Falls, Wisconsin.
- 6 medium sweet onions
- 1 whole garlic bulb
- 3 cups reduced-sodium chicken broth, divided
- 1/2 cup buttermilk
- 1 tablespoon minced fresh thyme or 1 teaspoon dried thyme
- 1/2 teaspoon coarsely ground pepper
- 1/2 cup shredded Swiss cheese
- Place the unpeeled onions and garlic bulb in a 15-in. x 10-in. x 1-in. baking pan coated with cooking spray. Spritz with cooking spray. Bake, uncovered, at 450° for 50-60 minutes or until tender.
- When cool enough to handle, peel the onions and garlic. Place in a blender; add 1 cup of broth. Cover and process until smooth; transfer to a large saucepan. Add the buttermilk, thyme, pepper and remaining broth; heat through. Garnish with cheese. Yield: 8 servings (2 quarts).
Originally published as Roasted Onion & Garlic Soup in Reminisce February/March 2010, p50
Reviews for Roasted Onion & Garlic Soup
Please Log In or Join to add a rating and review.
Click stars to rate
Any changes to your rating or review will appear where you originally posted your review