Roasted Lemon Chicken
This gorgeous herb-rubbed chicken is so moist and tender that you'll want to serve it for special occasions as well as family suppers. Margaret Wilson of Hemet, California shared the succulent entree.
6 ServingsPrep: 10 min. Bake: 1 hour + standing
- 1 whole broiler/fryer chicken (3-1/2 pounds)
- 1-1/2 teaspoons salt-free lemon-pepper seasoning
- 1/2 teaspoon onion powder
- 1/2 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1/2 teaspoon seasoned salt
- 1/2 teaspoon dried thyme
- 1 medium lemon, halved
- 2 fresh rosemary sprigs
- Loosen skin around chicken breast, leg and thigh. Combine the
- seasonings; rub half under skin. Cut half of the lemon into quarters
- and place in the cavity along with rosemary sprigs. Skewer openings;
- tie drumsticks together with kitchen string.
- Place chicken breast side up on a rack in a roasting pan. Squeeze the
- remaining lemon over chicken; rub with remaining spice mixture.
- Bake, uncovered, at 375° for 1 to 1-1/2 hours or until chicken
- juices run clear and a meat thermometer reads 180° (cover
- loosely with foil if browning too quickly). Cover and let stand for
- 15 minutes. Remove and discard skin, and discard lemon and herbs
- from cavity before carving. Yield: 6 servings.
Nutritional Facts: 3-1/2 ounces cooked chicken equals 197 calories, 8 g fat (2 g saturated fat), 90 mg cholesterol, 215 mg sodium,