Roasted Goose with Savory Garlic Stuffing Recipe
Looking for an unforgettable entree for Christmas dinner? This is the one! The stuffed bird is moist, tender and so impressive-looking on a holiday table.
- 1 medium lemon
- 1 domestic goose (11 to 13 pounds)
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
- 3 bacon strips
- 2 small onions, finely chopped
- 2 celery ribs, chopped
- 1/4 cup butter, cubed
- 8 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 package (14 ounces) seasoned stuffing cubes
- 4-1/2 teaspoons dried sage leaves
- 3/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon pepper
- 1/2 teaspoon each dried oregano, thyme and Italian seasoning
- 1-1/4 cups chicken broth, divided
- 1/2 cup egg substitute
- Preheat oven to 425°. Cut lemon in half. Rub inside and outside of goose with cut sides of lemon; discard lemon. Sprinkle inside and outside with salt and pepper. Prick skin well. With fingers, carefully loosen skin from goose breast; place bacon strips under skin. Set aside.
- For stuffing, in a large skillet, saute onions and celery in butter until tender. Add garlic; cook 1 minute. Transfer to a large bowl; stir in stuffing cubes, sage, salt, pepper and herbs. Add 1 cup broth and egg substitute; toss gently. Stuff the goose body and neck cavities loosely; tie drumsticks together.
- Place remaining stuffing in a greased 2-qt. baking dish; drizzle with remaining broth. Cover and refrigerate. Remove from the refrigerator 30 minutes before baking.
- Place goose breast side up on a rack in a roasting pan. Bake, uncovered, 30 minutes. Reduce heat to 350° Bake, uncovered, 2-3/4 to 3 hours or until a thermometer reads 180° for goose and 165° for stuffing, pricking skin occasionally. (Cover loosely with foil if goose browns too quickly.) If necessary, drain fat from pan as it accumulates.
- Bake additional stuffing, covered, for 25-30 minutes. Uncover; bake 10 minutes longer or until browned. Cover goose with foil and let stand 20 minutes before removing stuffing and carving goose. Yield: 12 servings (12 cups stuffing).
Originally published as Roasted Goose with Savory Garlic Stuffing in Country Woman Christmas Annual 2009, p47
Reviews for Roasted Goose with Savory Garlic Stuffing(0)
Please Log In or Join to add a rating and review.
Click stars to rate
Any changes to your rating or review will appear where you originally posted your review