Serve this creamy, rich as a meal starter or on its own with fresh-baked bread for a light lunch. It'll warm AND fill you right up!—Lizzie Munro, Brooklyn, New York
Recommended: 22 Recipes for Garlic Lovers
- 3 whole garlic bulbs
- 3 tablespoons olive oil, divided
- 2-1/2 pounds large tomatoes, quartered and seeded
- 1/4 teaspoon salt, divided
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper, divided
- 1 medium onion, chopped
- 5 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 tablespoon minced fresh thyme or 1 teaspoon dried thyme
- 2 cups chicken stock
- 1/2 cup half-and-half cream
- Preheat oven to 350°. Remove papery outer skin from garlic bulbs, but do not peel or separate the cloves. Cut off top of garlic bulbs, exposing individual cloves. Drizzle cut cloves with 2 tablespoons oil. Wrap in foil; place on a foil-lined 15x10x1-in. baking pan.
- Place tomatoes on same pan; sprinkle with 1/8 teaspoon salt and 1/8 teaspoon pepper. Bake 40-45 minutes or until garlic cloves and tomatoes are soft. Unwrap garlic and cool 10 minutes.
- In a large saucepan, heat remaining oil over medium heat. Add onion; cook and stir until tender. Add minced garlic, thyme and tomatoes. Squeeze garlic from skins and add to tomato mixture. Add stock; bring to a boil. Reduce heat; simmer, uncovered, 20-25 minutes or until flavors are blended, stirring occasionally.
- Remove soup from heat; cool slightly. Process in batches in a blender until smooth; return to saucepan. Add cream and the remaining salt and pepper; heat through, stirring occasionally. Yield: 4 servings.
Originally published as Roasted Garlic Tomato Soup in Taste of Home's Holiday & Celebrations Cookbook Annual 2014
Reviews for Roasted Garlic Tomato Soup
Please Log In or Join to add a rating and review.
Click stars to rate
Any changes to your rating or review will appear where you originally posted your review