Since garlic is so easy to grow, it's one of the favorite plants in our garden. This thick spread has a mild mellow flavor, making it perfect for topping any bread.—Janice Mitchell, Aurora, Colorado
- 2 large garlic heads
- 1 teaspoon olive oil
- 1 to 2 tablespoons butter
- 1 to 2 tablespoons all-purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon chicken bouillon granules
- 2/3 cup boiling water
- Italian or French bread, sliced
- Remove papery outer skin from garlic (do not peel or separate cloves). Brush with oil. Wrap each head in heavy-duty aluminum foil.
- Bake at 425° for 30-35 minutes or until softened. Cool for 10-15 minutes. Cut top off garlic heads,leaving root end intact.
- In a small saucepan, melt butter. Squeeze softened garlic into pan. Stir in flour until blended. Dissolve bouillon in water; gradually add to garlic mixture. Bring to a boil; cook and stir for 2 minutes. Serve with bread. Yield: about 1/2 cup.
Originally published as Roasted Garlic Spread in Taste of Home February/March 1999, p41
Reviews for Roasted Garlic Spread
Please Log In or Join to add a rating and review.
Click stars to rate
Any changes to your rating or review will appear where you originally posted your review