Roasting mellows and sweetens the blend of veggies in this hearty and heartwarming soup. It's perfect for a cozy night in. —Misty Brown, Glendale Heights, Illinois
- 1 whole garlic bulb
- 1-1/2 teaspoons plus 2 tablespoons butter, divided
- 2 pounds potatoes (about 6 medium), peeled and cubed
- 2 medium onions, quartered
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
- 6 cups vegetable broth, divided
- 4-1/2 teaspoons all-purpose flour
- 1/2 cup milk
- Remove papery outer skin from garlic (do not peel or separate cloves); cut top off bulb. Melt 1-1/2 teaspoons butter; drizzle over garlic. Wrap in heavy-duty foil. Place in a 9-in. round baking pan; set aside.
- Place potatoes and onions in a single layer in an ungreased 15-in. x 10-in. x 1-in. baking pan. Drizzle with oil; sprinkle with salt and pepper. Toss to coat.
- Bake garlic and potato mixture at 400° for 35-40 minutes or until tender, stirring vegetables once. Cool slightly.
- In a blender, combine 2 cups broth and half of the vegetable mixture; cover and process until blended. Repeat with 2 cups broth and remaining vegetable mixture; set aside.
- In a large saucepan, melt remaining butter. Stir in flour until smooth; gradually add remaining broth. Bring to a boil; cook and stir for 2 minutes or until thickened. Squeeze softened garlic into pan. Stir in milk and pureed vegetables; heat through. Yield: 8 servings.
Originally published as Roasted Garlic Potato Soup in Country Woman February/March 2009, p22
Reviews for Roasted Garlic Potato Soup
Please Log In or Join to add a rating and review.
Click stars to rate
Any changes to your rating or review will appear where you originally posted your review