Roasted Garlic Pork Supper Recipe
I grow sweet onions and garlic, so they're always on hand when I want to make this roast. I first fixed the recipe for a church retreat, and it was a big hit. Since then, I've prepared it for large groups and family dinners over the years. -Joseph Obbie, Webster, New York
TOTAL TIME: Prep: 15 min. Bake: 3-1/2 hours + standing YIELD:10-12 servings
- 2 whole garlic bulbs
- 2 teaspoons olive oil
- 1/2 teaspoon dried basil
- 1/2 teaspoon dried oregano
- 2 tablespoons lemon juice
- 1 boneless pork loin roast (4 to 5 pounds)
- 6 medium red potatoes, quartered
- 3 cups baby carrots
- 1 large sweet onion, thinly sliced
- 1-1/2 cups water
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon pepper
- 1. Remove papery outer skin from garlic (do not peel or separate cloves). Cut top off garlic heads, leaving root end intact. Brush with oil; sprinkle with basil and oregano. Wrap each bulb in heavy-duty foil. Bake at 425° for 30-35 minutes or until softened. Cool for 10-15 minutes. Squeeze softened garlic into a small bowl. Add lemon juice; mix well. Rub over the roast.
- 2. Place roast in a shallow roasting pan. Arrange potatoes, carrots and onion around roast. Pour water into the pan. Sprinkle meat and vegetables with salt and pepper. Cover and bake at 350° for 1-1/2 hours. Uncover; bake 1-1/2 hours longer or until a meat thermometer reads 160°, basting often. Cover and let stand for 10 minutes before slicing. Yield: 10-12 servings.
1 serving (1 each) equals 263 calories, 8 g fat (3 g saturated fat), 75 mg cholesterol, 260 mg sodium, 15 g carbohydrate, 2 g fiber, 31 g protein.
© 2014 RDA Enthusiast Brands, LLC