Roasted Garlic Butternut Soup Recipe
- 1 whole garlic bulb
- 1 teaspoon olive oil
- 1 medium butternut squash (3 pounds), peeled and cubed
- 1 medium sweet potato, peeled and cubed
- 1 large onion, chopped
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 3-1/4 cups water
- 1 can (14-1/2 ounces) reduced-sodium chicken broth
- 1 teaspoon paprika
- 1/2 teaspoon pepper
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 9 tablespoons crumbled blue cheese
- 1. Preheat oven to 425°. Remove papery outer skin from garlic (do not peel or separate cloves). Cut top off garlic bulb. Brush with oil; wrap in heavy-duty foil. Bake 30-35 minutes or until softened. Cool for 10-15 minutes.
- 2. Meanwhile, in a Dutch oven, saute squash, sweet potato and onion in butter until crisp-tender. Add water, broth, paprika, pepper and salt; squeeze softened garlic into pan. Bring to a boil. Reduce heat; cover and simmer 20-25 minutes or until vegetables are tender. Cool slightly.
- 3. In a food processor, process soup in batches until smooth. Return all to pan and heat through. Ladle into bowls; top with blue cheese. Yield: 9 servings (2-1/4 quarts).
1 cup soup with 1 tablespoon blue cheese: 144 calories, 6g fat (3g saturated fat), 13mg cholesterol, 340mg sodium, 21g carbohydrate (6g sugars, 5g fiber), 4g protein. Diabetic Exchanges: 1 starch, 1 fat.
Reviews for Roasted Garlic Butternut Soup
"the flavor is good, but is better as a side soup, vs a main dish"
"This is good, but it could use a little something extra. I served it with cornbreaad muffins that had a little cumin in them, and it went well together."
"this is very good soup! I added a little bit of cumin, curry powder, and sugar, plus extra salt and paprika, and a generous splash of sherry. the flavors are delicious but very subtle, so I suggest you pair this with a mild side dish. I had a bold spinach/walnut/apple/blue cheese salad, and it overpowered the soup's flavors. I'll make it again, but it needed those few extra things!"