Roasted Garlic Butternut Soup Recipe
- 1 whole garlic bulb
- 1 teaspoon olive oil
- 1 medium butternut squash (3 pounds), peeled and cubed
- 1 medium sweet potato, peeled and cubed
- 1 large onion, chopped
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 3-1/4 cups water
- 1 can (14-1/2 ounces) reduced-sodium chicken broth
- 1 teaspoon paprika
- 1/2 teaspoon pepper
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 9 tablespoons crumbled blue cheese
- 1. Preheat oven to 425°. Remove papery outer skin from garlic (do not peel or separate cloves). Cut top off of garlic bulb. Brush with oil; wrap in heavy-duty foil. Bake 30-35 minutes or until softened. Cool for 10-15 minutes.
- 2. Meanwhile, in a Dutch oven, saute squash, sweet potato and onion in butter until crisp-tender. Add water, broth, paprika, pepper and salt; squeeze softened garlic into pan. Bring to a boil. Reduce heat; cover and simmer 20-25 minutes or until vegetables are tender. Cool slightly.
- 3. In a food processor, process soup in batches until smooth. Return all to pan and heat through. Ladle into bowls; top with blue cheese. Yield: 9 servings (2-1/4 quarts).
1 cup soup with 1 tablespoon blue cheese equals 144 calories, 6 g fat (3 g saturated fat), 13 mg cholesterol, 340 mg sodium, 21 g carbohydrate, 5 g fiber, 4 g protein. Diabetic Exchanges: 1 starch, 1 fat.