- 2 medium whole garlic bulbs
- 2 teaspoons olive oil
- 1 package (1/4 ounce) active dry yeast
- 1 cup warm water (110° to 115°)
- 1 tablespoon sugar
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 2-1/2 to 3 cups all-purpose flour
- 2 tablespoons minced fresh sage or 2 teaspoons rubbed sage
- 2 teaspoons minced fresh marjoram or 3/4 teaspoon dried marjoram
- 1 teaspoon minced fresh rosemary or 1/2 teaspoon dried rosemary, crushed
- 2 tablespoons grated Parmesan cheese
- 1 tablespoon butter, melted
- Remove papery outer skin from garlic (do not peel or separate cloves). Cut top off garlic bulbs; brush with oil. Wrap each bulb in heavy-duty foil. Bake at 425° for 30-35 minutes or until softened. Cool for 10-15 minutes. Squeeze softened garlic into a small bowl; set aside.
- In a large bowl, dissolve yeast in warm water. Add the sugar, salt and 1 cup flour; beat until smooth. Stir in enough remaining flour to form a soft dough.
- Turn onto a lightly floured surface; knead until smooth and elastic, about 6-8 minutes. Place in a bowl coated with cooking spray, turning once to coat top. Cover and let rise in a warm place until doubled, about 45 minutes. Meanwhile, add the sage, marjoram and rosemary to the reserved roasted garlic.
- Punch dough down. Turn onto a lightly floured surface; divide in half. Roll each portion into a 10-in. x 8-in. rectangle. Spread garlic mixture to within 1/2 in. of edges. Sprinkle with cheese. Roll up jelly-roll style, starting with a long side; pinch seam and ends to seal.
- Coat a baking sheet with cooking spray. Place loaves seam side down on pan; tuck ends under. With a sharp knife, make several slashes across the top of each loaf. Cover and let rise until doubled, about 30 minutes.
- Bake at 375° for 20-25 minutes or until golden brown. Remove to wire racks; brush with butter. Yield: 2 loaves (10 slices each).
Reviews for Roasted Garlic Bread
Sort By :
"Delicious bread! I made it to go with lasagna & the first loaf disappeared before the lasagna was cut! This would be a great starting point for other delicious additions as well, like another reviewer mentioned. I made the dough in my bread machine but shaped it by hand & baked it in the oven."
"Delicious! I added cooked bacon bits, mushrooms and shredded cheese to the filling. Also used minced garlic - the bread was awesome!"
"Love this bread! Better than any store bought garlic bread! Used minced garlic and left out the herbs (my kids are not a fan) and brushed the butter on before the last 5 minutes of baking it. Will use this again and will definitely try with the roasted garlic. Thank you for the delicious recipe!"