- 1 whole garlic bulb
- 3 teaspoons olive oil, divided
- 2-1/2 pounds sweet potatoes (about 4 large), peeled and cut into 1/2-inch slices
- 2 large onions, cut into wedges
- 6 cups reduced-sodium chicken broth, divided
- 2 tablespoons minced fresh parsley
- 1 tablespoon minced fresh thyme or 1 teaspoon dried thyme
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/8 teaspoon pepper
- Remove papery outer skin from garlic bulb (do not peel or separate cloves). Cut top off bulb; brush with 1/2 teaspoon oil. Wrap in heavy-duty foil.
- Place sweet potatoes and onions in a 15-in. x 10-in. x 1-in. baking pan coated with cooking spray. Drizzle with remaining oil; toss to coat.
- Bake garlic and vegetables at 425° for 30-35 minutes or until tender. Cool for 10-15 minutes.
- Place 1-1/2 cups broth, parsley, thyme, salt and pepper in a blender. Squeeze softened garlic into mixture; cover and process until smooth. Transfer to a large saucepan.
- In batches, process the sweet potatoes, onions and remaining broth until smooth; add to garlic mixture. Cook, stirring occasionally, until heated through. Yield: 10 servings (2-1/2 quarts).
Reviews for Roasted Garlic and Sweet Potato Soup
Sort By :
I just made this recipe and then had two servings...it is delicious! I did not add the spices. I read the one review who said cinnamon and nutmeg went well, so I was going to add those spices. But after tasting how good it was without, I just let it be. I did add extra garlic, and I put salt and pepper on the sweet potatoes and onions as they roasted. I also strained my garlic mixture as my garlic was a little on the old side and it had some hard spots on it. Anyhow, I highly recommend this soup!
Love the recipe. I roasted the sweet potatoes and garlic, but cooked the onions in a large skillet, adding the dried thyme, salt and pepper and a pinch of red pepper flakes. When the sweet potatoes were done I added them to the onion mixture with the chicken broth. Great idea for sweet potatoes. Yummy soup!
I made this soup this morning to have for lunch with a friend. i didn't add the parsley and thyme but did add the cinnamon and nutmeg! It is awesome!!!
I bake the sweet potatoes whole in the oven instead of cutting everything up. It takes longer to bak, but it's easier to me.
Very easy to make. Nice flavor!!