- 1 whole garlic bulb
- 3 teaspoons olive oil, divided
- 2-1/2 pounds sweet potatoes (about 4 large), peeled and cut into 1/2-inch slices
- 2 large onions, cut into wedges
- 6 cups reduced-sodium chicken broth, divided
- 2 tablespoons minced fresh parsley
- 1 tablespoon minced fresh thyme or 1 teaspoon dried thyme
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/8 teaspoon pepper
- Remove papery outer skin from garlic bulb (do not peel or separate cloves). Cut top off bulb; brush with 1/2 teaspoon oil. Wrap in heavy-duty foil.
- Place sweet potatoes and onions in a 15-in. x 10-in. x 1-in. baking pan coated with cooking spray. Drizzle with remaining oil; toss to coat.
- Bake garlic and vegetables at 425° for 30-35 minutes or until tender. Cool for 10-15 minutes.
- Place 1-1/2 cups broth, parsley, thyme, salt and pepper in a blender. Squeeze softened garlic into mixture; cover and process until smooth. Transfer to a large saucepan.
- In batches, process the sweet potatoes, onions and remaining broth until smooth; add to garlic mixture. Cook, stirring occasionally, until heated through. Yield: 10 servings (2-1/2 quarts).
Reviews for Roasted Garlic and Sweet Potato Soup
Sort By :
I just made this recipe and then had two servings...it is delicious! I did not add the spices. I read the one review who said cinnamon and nutmeg went well, so I was going to add those spices. But after tasting how good it was without, I just let it be. I did add extra garlic, and I put salt and pepper on the sweet potatoes and onions as they roasted. I also strained my garlic mixture as my garlic was a little on the old side and it had some hard spots on it. Anyhow, I highly recommend this soup!
Love the recipe. I roasted the sweet potatoes and garlic, but cooked the onions in a large skillet, adding the dried thyme, salt and pepper and a pinch of red pepper flakes. When the sweet potatoes were done I added them to the onion mixture with the chicken broth. Great idea for sweet potatoes. Yummy soup!
I made this soup this morning to have for lunch with a friend. i didn't add the parsley and thyme but did add the cinnamon and nutmeg! It is awesome!!!
I bake the sweet potatoes whole in the oven instead of cutting everything up. It takes longer to bak, but it's easier to me.
Very easy to make. Nice flavor!!
More Recipe Collections
- Healthy Cooking Soup Recipes >
- Healthy Recipes >
- Healthy Soup Recipes >
- Low Fat Recipes >
- Low Fat Soup Recipes >