Roasted Garlic & Herb Prime Rib Recipe
An easy herb rub creates a flavorful crust over an impressive rib roast. The creamy horseradish sauce adds a bit of zest to each tender bite.Michele Solomon, Crestview, Florida
- 1 whole garlic bulb
- 1/4 teaspoon plus 2 tablespoons olive oil, divided
- 3 green onions, finely chopped
- 1 tablespoon dried rosemary, crushed
- 1 teaspoon dried thyme
- 1 teaspoon dill weed
- 1 teaspoon onion powder
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
- 1/2 cup dry red wine or beef broth
- 1 bone-in beef rib roast (6 to 8 pounds)
- 2 cups beef broth
- 1 cup (8 ounces) sour cream
- 1 tablespoon prepared horseradish
- 1-1/2 teaspoons dill weed
- Remove papery outer skin from garlic (do not peel or separate cloves). Cut top off of garlic bulb. Brush with 1/4 teaspoon oil. Wrap garlic bulb in heavy-duty foil. Bake at 425° for 30-35 minutes or until softened. Cool for 10-15 minutes.
- Squeeze softened garlic into a small bowl; stir in the onions, herbs, onion powder, salt and pepper. Add wine and remaining oil. Place roast fat side up in a shallow roasting pan. Cut slits into roast; spoon garlic mixture into slits. Rub remaining garlic mixture over roast. Pour beef broth into bottom of pan.
- Bake, uncovered, at 450° for 15 minutes. Reduce heat to 325°; bake 2-1/4 to 2-3/4 hours longer or until meat reaches desired doneness (for medium-rare, a thermometer should read 145°; medium, 160°; well-done, 170°).
- Meanwhile, in a small bowl, combine sauce ingredients. Cover and chill until serving. Remove roast to a serving platter and keep warm; let stand for 15 minutes before slicing. Serve with sauce. Yield: 12 servings.
Originally published as Roasted Garlic & Herb Prime Rib in Taste of Home's Holiday & Celebrations Cookbook Annual 2010, p12
Enjoy this recipe with a light-bodied red wine such as Pinot Noir.
Reviews for Roasted Garlic & Herb Prime Rib(0)
Please Log In or Join to add a rating and review.
Click stars to rate
Any changes to your rating or review will appear where you originally posted your review