Roasted Eggplant Dip Recipe
- 1 medium eggplant (about 1 pound)
- 9 green onions (white portion only)
- 3 tablespoons reduced-fat plain yogurt
- 1 tablespoon lemon juice
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
- 3 tablespoons minced chives, divided
- Pita breads (6 inches), cut into 6 wedges
- Carrot sticks, optional
- 1. Pierce eggplant several times with a fork. Place eggplant and onions in a shallow foil-lined baking pan. Bake at 400° for 25-30 minutes or until tender. Cool. Peel and cube the eggplant.
- 2. In a blender, combine the yogurt, lemon juice, oil, salt, pepper, eggplant and onions. Cover and process until almost smooth. Add 2 tablespoons chives; cover and process until blended.
- 3. Transfer to a serving bowl; sprinkle with remaining chives. Serve with pita wedges and carrots if desired. Yield: 1-1/2 cups.
One serving (1/4 cup dip with 6 pita wedges) equals 158 calories, 3 g fat (trace saturated fat), trace cholesterol, 421 mg sodium, 28 g carbohydrate, 3 g fiber, 5 g protein. Diabetic Exchanges: 1-1/2 starch, 1 vegetable, 1/2 fat.