Here's a fun way to use some of your garden-fresh eggplant crop. This chunky guacamole-like dip--seasoned with lemon juice, onions and chives--goes great with pita wedges or melba toast. Field editor Nina Hall of Citrus Heights, California contributed this recipe.
- 1 medium eggplant (about 1 pound)
- 9 green onions (white portion only)
- 3 tablespoons reduced-fat plain yogurt
- 1 tablespoon lemon juice
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
- 3 tablespoons minced chives, divided
- Pita breads (6 inches), cut into 6 wedges
- Carrot sticks, optional
- Pierce eggplant several times with a fork. Place eggplant and onions in a shallow foil-lined baking pan. Bake at 400° for 25-30 minutes or until tender. Cool. Peel and cube the eggplant.
- In a blender, combine the yogurt, lemon juice, oil, salt, pepper, eggplant and onions. Cover and process until almost smooth. Add 2 tablespoons chives; cover and process until blended.
- Transfer to a serving bowl; sprinkle with remaining chives. Serve with pita wedges and carrots if desired. Yield: 1-1/2 cups.
Originally published as Roasted Eggplant Dip in Taste of Home June/July 2004, p21
Reviews for Roasted Eggplant Dip
Please Log In or Join to add a rating and review.
Click stars to rate
Any changes to your rating or review will appear where you originally posted your review